Sea shipping is the world’s most common shipping method as an economical and safe method of transportation. According to the data of 2020, approximately 100,000 ships worldwide carry around 2 million tons of cargo for a year. Container shipping from Australia to Europe, America, Africa and Asia is a global supply chain that enables the transfer of commercial and private goods between thousands of ports in hundreds of countries.
Shipping companies: Shipowners vs Freight Forwarders
Ship-owner companies such as Maersk, MSC, Cosco, as the world’s largest shipping companies, form the infrastructure of maritime transportation with the ships and containers they own. However, the main actors of the sector are freight forwarder companies, which generally provide local services.
The main reason for this is that customers who want to move their cargo from one country to another want to receive local service. What we mean by local service is that operations are carried out accurately and safely and that you can find an authorized and relevant company representative when you have a question or a problem.
For example, suppose you are planning an FCL or LCL shipment from Sydney to New York. In that case, the content of the service that a global shipper will provide to you consists of providing a website link where you can track the movements of your cargo. These companies using a random customer service, So each time different customer representative answer your calls with limited authority and knowledge.
Which Type Of Cargo Is Suitable For Sea Transportation?
Maritime transport is not suitable for small diameter loads. For a package which is less than 100 kg, or less than 1 or 2 parcels, the airline shipping price offered by express courier services is more favourable.
Another issue; Anything that can fit in a container can be transported, except for goods added to the restricted list by countries. There are far fewer restrictions on what can be transported using sea transport compared to air transport.
The “width * length * height” dimensions of the goods to be transported must be appropriate for loading those items into the container and unloading them at the destination port. Please review the container size chart below.
Freight forwarders: Strengths & Advantages
What makes a Freight Forwarder advantageous, especially if it is a company that is deep-rooted and following innovations, will serve you with a combination of traditional methods and current practices to provide you with the best service.
“Sydney International Freight” is one of the leading freight forwarder companies in Australia with almost 40 years of experience. A Company specialized in the shipping of commercial goods, private cars, household goods & personal effects worldwide. As a freight forwarder, it stands out among Australia and all ports of the world with the best price, fastest and most reliable information flow, professional solution to all your questions and questions about transportation.
How to Get a Sea Freight Quote
For shipping companies to determine the transportation costs of your freight and offer you a price quote, you must have the following information.
- Origin and destination of the shipment
- Total number of parcels
- Boxes or pallet dimensions & weight (width * length * height)
- The type of product to be shipped. (to determine the conditions of carriage)
- Mention your expected delivery time. If there is a deadline, specify it.
Sea Freight How Long Shipment Process Take?
The shipment process that will take place between the port where the goods will be loaded and unloaded, that is, the time the ship will spend at sea determines the duration of the shipment. This time varies according to the physical distance between the two ports. However, when calculating the time, the time required for customs procedures to be performed at both the loading and unloading ports should also be taken into account. You should get information from shipping companies for up-to-date shipments.
How Does Sea Shipping Work?
It is important to work with freight forwarders for the shipment of commercial goods or personal effects abroad. Customs procedures, including export and import procedures, will be carried out at the beginning and end of an international shipment. Therefore, we recommend that you work with a freight forwarder to avoid errors that can result in costly costs and penalties.
The general steps you should take to organize a sea shipment are:
- Choose a freight forwarding company that is specialized in its field and works actively in the region you will be shipping to and get a price quote for the service you need.
- The shipping company will collect the goods from you or from your supplier if you have asked to pick them up from a supplier abroad.
- Your shipment is transported to the port.
- Goods are loaded in a container (FCL) or a shared container (LCL)
- Registration is done in the port regarding the sample process A draft Bill of Lading is prepared. Your customs brooker frim handles customs clearance.
- The ship leaves and the journey begins to the destination port.
- When the ship reaches the destination port, the shipping company will send you an arrival notice.
- At the destination port, the container is unloaded to the customs area.
- Customs procedures are carried out
- Port exit permit is taken for the container whose customs procedures are completed. If you have an address delivery agreement, the container is transferred to the address you want by an intermediate transport vehicle organized by your carrier.